Microwave ovens are an essential fixture in most kitchens, providing fast and convenient cooking for a variety of meals and snacks. However, with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to find the right one under a budget. That’s where we come in. If you’re perplexed about which microwave oven to choose under $150, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll discuss the top five microwave ovens under $150 with the best features to suit your needs and budget. From design and capacity to power wattage and advanced features, we’ll provide a detailed comparison of the pros and cons of each product. We’ll also share a buying guide to help you make an informed decision and answer some frequently asked questions about microwave ovens. Let’s get started!
- Top 5 Microwave Ovens under $150 with Best Features
- Features Comparison
- Pros and Cons
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Can I use metal utensils in a microwave oven under $150?
- 2. How do I clean my microwave oven under $150?
- 3. What is the difference between a microwave oven and a convection oven?
- 4. Can I use my microwave oven to defrost meat?
- 5. How can I tell if my microwave oven is losing power?
- 6. What is the difference between a solo microwave and a grill microwave?
- 7. Can I use my microwave oven to cook popcorn?
- 8. How can I prevent my microwave oven from overheating?
- 9. Can I use my microwave oven to cook vegetables?
- 10. Can I use my microwave oven to cook meat?
1. Why Choose a Microwave Oven under $150?
Microwave ovens have become a staple in every kitchen due to their convenient and time-saving features. However, not everyone is willing to break the bank to buy a microwave oven. This is where microwave ovens under $150 come into play. They are affordable, efficient, and offer adequate cooking capacity for small to medium-sized families.
One of the primary reasons for choosing a microwave oven under $150 is that it provides a cost-effective solution for those who are on a tight budget or looking to save money. With so many models available in the market, you can easily find a microwave that suits your budget and needs without compromising on quality and features.
Another reason for choosing a microwave oven under $150 is the variety of options available. You can find a range of options from small, compact models ideal for apartments or dorm rooms, to larger models with advanced features like convection cooking, pre-programmed settings, and grill functions. By choosing a microwave oven under $150, you can enjoy the convenience and functionality of modern microwave technology without having to spend a fortune.
Lastly, even with the affordable price tag, modern microwave ovens under $150 have a decent lifespan with proper care and maintenance. They offer basic cooking functions that can save a lot of time in the kitchen with minimal effort, making them a great investment for any household.
To help you choose the right microwave oven for your needs, we have compiled a list of the top five microwave ovens under $150 with the best features. Our comprehensive review includes a comparison of their design, capacity, power wattage, cooking performance, control panel, user-friendliness, advanced features, and functions. We have also listed the pros and cons of each product, along with a detailed buying guide to help you make an informed decision.
2. Factors to Consider when Buying a Microwave Oven
When looking for a microwave oven under $150, it’s important to consider several factors to ensure you get the best features and performance for your money. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
1. Size and Capacity
First and foremost, you need to consider the size and capacity of the microwave oven. If you have a small kitchen or limited counter space, you may want to opt for a compact model with a small capacity, such as AmazonBasics Microwave. However, if you have a large family or often cook for guests, a larger capacity like Toshiba EM925A5A-SS or COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM may be more suitable.
2. Power Wattage
The power wattage of the microwave oven is important because it determines how quickly and evenly the food is cooked. Generally, the higher the wattage, the faster the cooking time. Models with a higher wattage floor, such as BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7, offer faster and more even cooking than those with lower wattage.
3. Design and Style
The design and style of the microwave oven are also important, especially if you want it to match the décor of your kitchen. Danby DMW07A4WDB, for example, has a retro design that would fit perfectly in a vintage-style kitchen.
4. Features and Functions
Microwave ovens nowadays come with a range of features and functions that make cooking even more convenient. Some models have pre-programmed settings for specific types of food, like popcorn or pizza. Additionally, some feature digital displays, multiple power levels, and child safety locks. So, it’s worth looking for a model with features that suit your needs.
5. Price and Warranty
Finally, it’s important to consider the price and warranty of the microwave oven. You want to make sure you’re getting the best value for your money and that the product is backed up by a reliable warranty that you can use in case of defects or issues. Check out our buying guide for budget microwave ovens to get a better idea of what to look for in terms of pricing and warranties.
Consider the above factors before making a purchase for budget-friendly microwave ovens. For additional reading, check out our article on budget microwave ovens pros and cons.
Top 5 Microwave Ovens under $150 with Best Features
When it comes to selecting a microwave oven, you don’t always have to break the bank. There are many budget-friendly microwave ovens under $150 that offer excellent features and performance. In this section, we will introduce you to the top 5 microwave ovens under $150 that offer the best value for your money. From sleek design to advanced functions, these microwave ovens have everything you need to make your cooking experience a breeze. Before we dive in, be sure to check out our budget microwave oven buying guide for tips on selecting the best model for your needs.
1. Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is one of the best budget-friendly options available on the market today. It has a sleek stainless steel exterior that will complement any kitchen decor. With a capacity of 0.9 cubic feet, it can accommodate a variety of dish sizes, making it suitable for families of all sizes.
In terms of power wattage and cooking performance, the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven packs a punch with 900 watts of power. This power output ensures that food is cooked evenly and quickly, making meal preparation a breeze. The microwave has 10 power settings, allowing you to adjust the temperature according to your needs.
When it comes to control panel and user-friendliness, this microwave oven has an easy-to-use control panel with one-touch buttons for popular food items such as pizza, popcorn, and potatoes. The digital display is bright and clear, allowing for easy viewing of the time and cooking settings. The microwave has a child safety lock feature, preventing accidents and mishaps.
One of the standout features of the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is its advanced functions. It has a built-in sensor that automatically adjusts the cooking time and temperature based on the food’s moisture level, ensuring that dishes are cooked to perfection every time. The microwave also has a defrost function that evenly defrosts meat, poultry, and fish without cooking the outside.
Here are the pros and cons of the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven:
- Advanced sensor technology for even cooking
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Child safety lock feature
- Capacity might be small for larger families or dishes
- The sensor technology may take longer to cook some dishes
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is one of the top budget-friendly options on the market, providing a great balance between efficient technology and affordability. For more information on other budget microwave ovens, check out our pros and cons list here, or learn about the lifespan of these appliances in our article on budget microwave lifespans. If you’re looking for other options under $150, take a look at our article on the best microwave ovens under $150 or explore the latest budget microwave technology in our article on budget microwave tech under $150.
2. AmazonBasics Microwave, Small, 0.7 Cu. Ft, 700W
The AmazonBasics Microwave is a small yet powerful microwave oven that is perfect for those who have limited countertop space but still want a reliable and functional microwave oven. Here are some of the features that make this microwave a great choice for its price:
- Compact size: With a capacity of 0.7 cubic feet, this microwave occupies minimal space on your countertop, making it a great choice for small apartments or dorm rooms.
- 700W power: The AmazonBasics Microwave has a maximum power output of 700 watts, which is enough to cook a wide range of foods effortlessly.
- Alexa integration: With the voice-activated Alexa feature, you can use voice commands to cook or reheat your food effortlessly, without having to use the buttons on the microwave.
- 10 power levels: With 10 power levels to choose from, you can easily fine-tune the power output to cook your food to perfection.
- Auto-cook presets: The microwave comes with several auto-cook presets, including popcorn, vegetable, potato, and more, making it easy to cook your favorite dishes with the touch of a button.
- Child safety lock: The microwave is equipped with a child safety lock that prevents accidental use or unsupervised access.
The AmazonBasics Microwave is a great choice for anyone who is looking for a small and affordable microwave oven with advanced features such as Alexa integration and auto-cook presets. Even though it is small, it offers enough power and versatility to cook a wide range of foods with ease.
3. BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven
The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven is another impressive choice for those looking for a reliable microwave oven under $150. This 0.7 cubic foot capacity microwave oven has a sleek and modern look that will complement any kitchen décor. Let’s take a closer look at its features in the table below:
|Power Wattage||700 watts|
|Cooking Programs||10 power levels, pre-programmed buttons for popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetable, beverage, and dinner plate|
|Design||Sleek black and stainless steel design, LED display with digital clock and timer, child safety lock|
|Defrost Function||Customizable defrost function by weight or time|
|Size||0.7 cubic foot capacity, compact size|
With 700 watts of power, the BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven delivers quick and efficient cooking performance. It features 10 power levels and pre-programmed buttons for popular foods like popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetable, beverage, and dinner plate. The customizable defrost function allows you to defrost by weight or time, ensuring that your food is thawed properly and safely.
In terms of design, this microwave oven has a sleek black and stainless steel exterior, making it an attractive addition to any kitchen. The LED display features a digital clock and timer, while the child safety lock ensures that little fingers can’t accidentally start the microwave.
Despite its compact size, the 0.7 cubic foot capacity is still roomy enough to accommodate most standard-sized plates and bowls. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven is a great choice for anyone in the market for an affordable and feature-packed microwave oven.
4. COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven
The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven is a great option for those looking for a sleek and user-friendly microwave with advanced features. Here are some key reasons why this microwave stands out:
- Compact and Elegant Design: This microwave has a space-saving design and a stylish black and silver finish that can fit into any modern kitchen decor.
- Moderate Capacity: With 0.7 cubic feet capacity, it is perfect for small to medium-sized families or for individuals who need to reheat foods or make quick snacks.
- High Power Wattage: The microwave has 700 watts of cooking power, allowing it to quickly cook, reheat, or defrost food items.
- User-Friendly Controls: The digital display and touchpad controls are easy to operate and make setting cooking times and power levels a breeze.
- Multifunctional: The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven has multiple functions, including express cooking, defrosting, and popcorn, making cooking and reheating more efficient.
- Child Safety Lock: The microwave comes with a safety lock feature that prevents accidental activation by children or other users.
Although the microwave is packed with great features, there are also a few drawbacks to consider:
- Noisy: The microwave can be a bit noisy when in use due to its high-power wattage.
- Small Turntable: The turntable is a bit small, making it difficult to fit larger dishes or plates.
- No Interior Light: The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven does not have an interior light, which can make it difficult to see the food being cooked or reheated.
The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven is a fantastic option for those looking for a compact, stylish, and multifunctional microwave with a high power wattage. However, it does have a few drawbacks to consider before making a purchasing decision.
5. Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven
The Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven is a compact yet powerful option for those looking for a microwave oven under $150. This model comes in a sleek white design that complements any kitchen decor, and its 0.7 cu. ft. capacity is perfect for small to medium-sized dishes.
Power Wattage and Cooking Performance: With 700 watts of power, this microwave oven is capable of cooking food quickly and consistently. It also has 10 power levels that allow you to customize the cooking settings based on your preferences. The convenient one-touch cooking option is perfect for those who want to cook pre-set meals with ease.
Control Panel and User-Friendliness: The Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven has a simple and easy-to-use control panel that features six pre-programmed cooking options for popular foods such as popcorn, potatoes, pizza, and more. Its LED display is bright and easy to read, and the timer and clock functions are helpful for keeping track of cooking times.
Advanced Features and Functions: While this model may not have all the bells and whistles of higher-end microwave ovens, it does have some features that make it stand out. The child safety lock function is essential for families with young children, and the automatic defrost option makes it easy to thaw frozen food.
To better compare Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven to the other models in our list, we created a table with the most important features:
|Model||Power Wattage||Capacity||Pre-programmed Cooking Options||Child Safety Lock||Automatic Defrost|
|Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven||700 watts||0.7 cu. ft.||6||Yes||Yes|
|Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven||900 watts||0.9 cu. ft.||6||Yes||Yes|
|AmazonBasics Microwave, Small, 0.7 Cu. Ft, 700W||700 watts||0.7 cu. ft.||10||Yes||No|
|Black+Decker EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven||700 watts||0.7 cu. ft.||10||Yes||Yes|
|COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven||700 watts||0.7 cu. ft.||1-6 minutes||Yes||No|
– Sleek white design that fits any kitchen decor
– 10 power levels for customized cooking settings
– Child safety lock function for added safety
– Limited pre-programmed cooking options compared to other models
– Does not have advanced features such as sensor cooking or smart home integration
The Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven is a solid choice for those on a budget who need a reliable and easy-to-use microwave oven for reheating, cooking, and defrosting food. It may not have all the bells and whistles of higher-end models, but it has all the essential features that most people need in a microwave oven.
When it comes to buying a microwave oven under $150, there are several factors to consider. One of the most important things to look at is the features that each model offers. Here we will compare the main features of the top 5 microwave ovens under $150 mentioned in this article to help you make an informed decision.
1. Design and Capacity
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS has a stainless steel exterior and a 0.9 cubic feet capacity, making it a sleek and spacious choice. The AmazonBasics Microwave has a compact design with a 0.7 cubic feet capacity and comes in black or white. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 also has a black or white exterior but has a larger capacity of 0.7 cubic feet. The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM has a retro design with a 0.7 cubic feet capacity and comes in white or pastel pink. The Danby DMW07A4WDB has a simple white exterior with a 0.7 cubic feet capacity.
2. Power Wattage and Cooking Performance
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS has a power wattage of 900 watts which allows for faster cooking and heating. The AmazonBasics Microwave has a power wattage of 700 watts which is suitable for basic tasks like reheating and defrosting. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 also has a power wattage of 700 watts but offers 10 different power levels for precise heating. The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM has a power wattage of 700 watts and 11 different power levels for more flexibility while cooking. The Danby DMW07A4WDB has a power wattage of 700 watts and 10 power levels.
3. Control Panel and User-Friendliness
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS has an easy-to-use control panel with six pre-programmed settings and a digital clock. The AmazonBasics Microwave has an Alexa-enabled control panel, allowing for voice control and hands-free operation. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 has a digital control panel with a large LED display and one-touch buttons for common tasks. The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM has a simple and user-friendly control panel with a kitchen timer and child safety lock. The Danby DMW07A4WDB has a basic control panel with easy-to-use dials for time and power settings.
4. Advanced Features and Functions
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS has a defrost function and a removable glass turntable for easy cleaning. The AmazonBasics Microwave has an Alexa app that allows for additional control and advanced cooking features. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 has a 30-second express cooking function as well as a weight and time defrost feature. The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM has a mute function for silent operation and a memory function for saving frequently used settings. The Danby DMW07A4WDB has a weight and time defrost function as well as a child lock for safety.
Each of the top 5 microwave ovens under $150 mentioned in this article has unique features and functions that make them suitable for different needs. By comparing their design, power wattage and cooking performance, control panel, and advanced features, you can make an informed decision on which one is right for you.
1. Design and Capacity
When it comes to choosing a microwave oven under $150, it is essential to consider the design and capacity before making a purchase. The design of a microwave oven can affect both its aesthetics and functionality. Some models come with modern and sleek designs, while others have a more traditional appearance. The capacity of a microwave oven determines the amount of food you can cook at once.
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven, for example, has a compact design that is perfect for small kitchens. It measures 19.2 x 15.9 x 11.5 inches, making it easy to store in tight spaces. It has a capacity of 0.9 cubic feet and can easily accommodate a standard size dinner plate. This is sufficient for small to medium-sized families or individuals living alone.
AmazonBasics Microwave, on the other hand, has a modern and stylish design that will complement any kitchen décor. Its compact size makes it easy to place on any countertop. It has a capacity of 0.7 cubic feet, which is ideal for cooking small to medium-sized meals. This model is perfect for students or individuals living in small apartments.
The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven has a classic design that will complement any kitchen, whether modern or traditional. It has a capacity of 0.7 cubic feet, which is suitable for individuals or small families. Its compact design makes it one of the best portable microwave ovens under $150.
The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven has a sleek and modern design that will look great in contemporary kitchens. It has a large capacity of 0.7 cubic feet and can easily accommodate a standard dinner plate. This model is perfect for families with four or fewer members who need to cook larger meals quickly.
The Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven is designed with simplicity in mind. Its traditional design and compact size make it ideal for small spaces. Its 0.7-cubic-foot capacity is perfect for individuals or small families. It is a great choice for those looking for a budget-friendly option for everyday use.
Design and capacity are important factors to consider when purchasing a microwave oven under $150. Whether you need a larger capacity for cooking bigger meals or prefer a more compact model for a small kitchen, there are plenty of options available to suit your needs.
2. Power Wattage and Cooking Performance
When it comes to microwave ovens, power wattage and cooking performance are two of the most crucial factors to consider. Microwave ovens under $150 usually have a power output ranging from 700 watts to 1000 watts.
Power Wattage: A higher wattage means faster cooking and heating times. If you plan to use your microwave oven for basic tasks such as reheating and defrosting, a 700-800 watt oven should suffice. However, if you plan to cook food in your microwave, a 900-1000 watt oven would be a better choice as it will cook your food more evenly and quickly.
Cooking Performance: Apart from wattage, cooking performance is also determined by the oven’s size and shape. The turntable size and configuration play a vital role in ensuring that food is evenly cooked. Microwaves with larger turntables are better suited for cooking larger items, while smaller turntables are more suitable for compact spaces. Additionally, some microwaves have a flatbed design that eliminates the need for a turntable, allowing for more space for bigger containers.
Another important factor that affects cooking performance is the oven’s heating technology. Some microwave ovens use inverter technology that allows for more precise temperature control, resulting in better cooking performance and avoiding undercooking or overcooking food. On the other hand, conventional microwave ovens use on/off technology, meaning they only turn off or on at full power.
Finally, it’s worth mentioning that several microwaves often come with pre-programmed settings tailored towards different types of cooking, such as popcorn or baked potatoes. These pre-programmed settings save time and effort as you do not have to choose the cooking time manually.
When considering a microwave oven’s power wattage and cooking performance, you should think about how you plan to use the appliance. A higher wattage oven with precise heating technology and extra features could be the better choice if you plan to cook in your microwave, while a lower wattage oven with basic heating functions might suffice for simple reheating and defrosting purposes.
3. Control Panel and User-Friendliness
When it comes to choosing a microwave oven, the control panel and user-friendliness are crucial factors to consider. After all, the control panel is what you interact with every time you use the appliance, so you want it to be easy to understand and navigate.
Control Panel: The control panel of a microwave oven should be straightforward and intuitive, even for those who have never used a microwave before. Some models have touch controls, while others have physical buttons or a combination of both. Touch control panels are sleek and easy to clean, but they can be less responsive than physical buttons. On the other hand, physical buttons can be more durable but are more prone to wear and tear.
User-Friendliness: In addition to the control panel, user-friendliness encompasses the overall ease of use of the microwave oven. This includes factors like how easy it is to set the time and temperature, how quickly it heats up food, and how simple it is to clean. Some models come with pre-set cooking options for popular foods like popcorn and pizza, which can be convenient for those who use their microwave oven frequently.
Consider a model like the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS which boasts an easy-to-read LED display with digital clock and kitchen timer, and a one-touch start button for quick operation. The AmazonBasics Microwave features an “Ask Alexa” function that allows you to use voice commands to control the microwave. The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 has an intuitive control panel with pre-programmed buttons for popular foods, and the COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM has a child safety lock to prevent accidental use.
The control panel and user-friendliness of a microwave oven can greatly impact your overall satisfaction with the appliance. Choose a model that is easy to use and matches your individual needs to ensure that you get the most out of your investment.
4. Advanced Features and Functions
When it comes to microwave ovens under $150, advanced features and functions are not common, but some models offer a few extras that can make a big difference. Here are some features that you may want to consider when looking for the best microwave oven for your needs:
1. Sensor Cooking: This is a feature that automatically adjusts the cooking time and power based on the food’s moisture content and doneness level. It takes the guesswork out of cooking and ensures that your food is cooked perfectly every time.
2. Defrost Functions: Defrosting food in a microwave can be challenging, but some models offer specialized defrost functions that take the guesswork out of the process. With defrost functions, you can quickly and safely defrost frozen meat, poultry, and fish without cooking them, so they are ready to be cooked in your oven or on the grill.
3. Keep Warm Function: If you often find yourself waiting for your family members to arrive home before serving dinner, then the keep warm function is a feature you will appreciate. It will keep your food at the right temperature without overcooking it, so you can serve it when everyone is ready.
4. Child Lock: If you have young children in your home, keeping them safe is a top priority. Microwave ovens with child lock features prevent children from accidentally starting the oven or opening the door while it’s in operation, so you can have peace of mind while cooking.
5. Auto Cook Menus: Designed to make cooking a breeze, auto cook menus take the guesswork out of cooking by eliminating the need to set cooking time and power levels. Simply select the type of food you want to cook, and the microwave oven automatically adjusts the cooking time and power level for you.
6. Express Cook: Do you find yourself in a rush to get dinner on the table? The express cook function allows you to cook common foods quickly and easily, so you can enjoy a hot meal in a matter of minutes.
While not all of these features will be important to everyone, they can make your life easier if they align with your individual needs. Consider the features that are most important to you before making a final decision on which microwave oven to purchase.
Pros and Cons
As with any product, each of the top 5 microwave ovens under $150 has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. To help you choose the right one for your needs, let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of each model. By weighing these factors carefully, you’ll be better equipped to make a smart and informed decision.
1. Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is a sleek and modern countertop microwave oven that packs a lot of power and convenient features at an affordable price. Here are the key features that make this microwave a top pick among the best microwave ovens under $150:
- 0.9 cubic foot capacity: This microwave oven has a spacious 0.9 cubic foot capacity that can easily accommodate a variety of dishes and meal sizes.
- 900 watts of power: With a power output of 900 watts, the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven cooks food quickly and evenly, reducing cooking times by up to 50 percent compared to other models.
- 10 power settings: This microwave oven also offers 10 power settings, allowing users to adjust the cooking power to match the specific demands of the dish being prepared.
- Touch control panel: The easy-to-use touch control panel features a digital display that shows cooking time and power level. It also includes one-touch buttons for popular food items such as pizza, vegetables, and popcorn.
- Compact and stylish design: The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is designed with a compact footprint that won’t take up too much counter space. It also features a stainless steel exterior that adds a touch of sophistication to any kitchen decor.
- Customizable features: Users can also customize the microwave oven by adjusting the sound on/off option and the eco mode, which reduces standby energy consumption up to 50 percent.
The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven is a fantastic option for those looking for a reliable, powerful, and customizable microwave oven at an affordable price point. Its compact size and stylish design make it perfect for any kitchen, while its powerful performance and convenient features make it ideal for everyday use.
2. AmazonBasics Microwave, Small, 0.7 Cu. Ft, 700W
The AmazonBasics Microwave is a top contender for those looking for a small and basic microwave under $150. Here are some key features that make it worth considering:
- Compact Size: This microwave has a small size of 0.7 cubic feet, making it perfect for smaller kitchens or for those with limited counter space.
- 700W Power: With a power of 700 watts, this microwave can handle simple tasks like reheating leftovers, defrosting frozen food, or making popcorn.
- Alexa Integration: One unique feature of this microwave is its compatibility with Amazon’s Alexa. You can use voice commands to start or stop the microwave, add time, or even reorder popcorn.
- Pre-Programmed Settings: The AmazonBasics Microwave has a variety of pre-programmed settings for common items like popcorn, frozen vegetables, and more. Simply press a button and let the microwave do the rest.
- Child Lock: This microwave comes equipped with a child lock feature, which is a must-have for families with young children to prevent accidental use.
However, there are also some downsides to consider:
- Limited Cooking Options: This microwave’s power wattage limit makes it less suitable for cooking larger or more complex meals.
- No Turntable: One unique feature of the AmazonBasics Microwave that some may find inconvenient is the lack of a turntable. While this allows for more compact design, it can make it difficult to fit larger dishes or heat food evenly.
- Basic Design: This microwave has a fairly basic and understated design, which may not appeal to those looking for a more visually appealing option.
While the AmazonBasics Microwave may not be as feature-rich as some higher-end models, it is a solid option for those seeking a compact and basic microwave at an affordable price point. Its compatibility with Alexa and pre-programmed settings make it a convenient and easy-to-use option.
3. BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven
The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven is another excellent option for those looking for a budget-friendly and feature-rich microwave oven. It boasts a modern black stainless steel exterior that is sure to fit in with any kitchen decor.
One of the standout features of this microwave oven is its impressive 700-watt power output. This makes it powerful enough to quickly and efficiently cook a wide variety of foods. It also has a capacity of 0.7 cubic feet, which is perfect for those with limited counter space.
The control panel of this microwave oven is user-friendly and includes several one-touch buttons for easy cooking of popular food items like popcorn, potatoes, and frozen vegetables. It also has a digital clock and a timer function, so you can keep an eye on your food as it cooks.
Additionally, the BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven has a child safety lock, which prevents little ones from accidentally operating the microwave. This is a great feature for parents or babysitters who have young children around.
Here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of the BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven:
|– Affordable price point||– Some users report a short lifespan|
|– Powerful 700W output||– Limited capacity|
|– User-friendly control panel||– Lack of advanced features compared to more expensive models|
|– Child safety lock|
The BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven is an excellent choice for those on a budget who still want a powerful and reliable microwave oven with convenient features. Its sleek design and child safety lock make it a great addition to any home.
4. COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven
The COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven is another great option for those in need of a reliable and affordable microwave under $150.
- Design and Capacity: This microwave boasts a sleek and modern design with a black matte finish and compact size that fits well on any countertop. Its 0.7 cu.ft. interior capacity is perfect for smaller meals or snacks.
- Power Wattage and Cooking Performance: With 700 watts of power, this microwave heats up food quickly and evenly. It also has 11 different power levels and a custom defrost function for precise cooking.
- Control Panel and User-Friendliness: The digital control panel is easy to use and features a clock and timer function. There are also six quick-set buttons for popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetable, beverage, and dinner plate, which makes this microwave ideal for those who want fast and effortless cooking options.
- Advanced Features and Functions: This microwave features a child safety lock, which is important for families with children, as well as an energy-saving eco-mode option that helps to reduce electricity consumption.
While the COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven may not have all the bells and whistles of more expensive models, it is a solid and reliable choice that will meet the needs of most consumers.
5. Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven
The Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven is a great option for those who are seeking a budget-friendly microwave that still offers good features and quality. Although its power wattage is lower than the other options on this list, it still performs well for basic heating and cooking tasks.
One of the standout features of this microwave is its compact size, which makes it perfect for smaller kitchens and apartments. It has a 0.7 cu. ft. capacity, and its compact size also means that it won’t take up too much counter space.
Here’s a table summarizing the key features of the Danby DMW07A4WDB:
|Design||Compact and sleek design with a white finish|
|Capacity||0.7 cu. ft. capacity|
|Power Wattage||700 watts|
|Cooking Modes||Offers 6 pre-programmed cooking modes, including defrost, popcorn, and pizza|
|Control Panel||Digital control panel with an LED display|
|User-Friendliness||Easy to operate and intuitive controls|
|Additional Features||Child lock function and a 10-inch turntable for even cooking|
In terms of cooking performance, the Danby DMW07A4WDB offers 6 pre-programmed cooking modes, including defrost, popcorn, and pizza, which can be convenient for those who cook frequently. Its control panel is digital and easy to operate, and it also features a child lock function for added safety.
The downside to this microwave is its relatively low power wattage of 700 watts, which means that it may take longer to heat up or cook food. However, for those who do not require extensive cooking needs, this microwave is still a viable option.
The Danby DMW07A4WDB offers good value for its price, and its compact size and convenient features make it a great option for those with smaller kitchens.
When it comes to buying a new microwave oven, it’s essential to consider several factors to ensure that you get the best value for your money. With so many options available in the market, it can be overwhelming to make the right decision. But not to worry, we’ve got you covered! In this section, we will guide you through the buying process with some essential tips and tricks. From defining your needs and budget to considering the size and power, we’ll help you make an informed decision and find the perfect microwave oven for your home. So, let’s dive in and discover how to choose the best microwave oven under $150 for your needs.
1. Define your Needs and Budget
When buying a microwave oven under $150, it is important to define your needs and budget. Before making a purchase, take the time to consider what features and functions are most important to you, and what price point you are comfortable with. Here are some factors to consider:
|Factors to Consider||Importance|
|Size and Capacity||Choose a size that fits your kitchen and cooking needs. Consider the capacity you need based on the amount of food you typically cook.|
|Power Wattage||The higher the wattage, the faster your food will cook. If you’re looking for quick cooking times, choose a higher wattage model.|
|Advanced Features||Think about what features you need, such as defrost, reheating, or cooking presets. If you’re looking for more advanced functions, consider models with convection or grill options.|
|User Friendliness||Consider ease of use, including the control panel and display. Some models come with one-touch buttons or voice control, making cooking even easier.|
|Price||Set a budget that you’re comfortable with. Remember, more expensive models may not always offer the best value, so be sure to consider all factors before making a decision.|
By defining your needs and budget, you can narrow down your options and find the best microwave oven under $150 that fits your lifestyle and cooking needs. Remember to consider all factors and read reviews from other users to ensure you’re making the best decision for your kitchen.
2. Consider the Size and Design
When choosing a microwave oven under $150, it is important to consider the size and design that best fits your needs and kitchen aesthetics. Here are some factors to keep in mind:
Size: Microwave ovens come in different sizes, ranging from compact models for small kitchens to larger ones for more spacious areas. The size of the microwave oven also affects its capacity, so consider how much food you need to cook at a time. For singles or couples, a compact model with a capacity of 0.7 to 0.9 cubic feet may be sufficient. For families, a larger model with a capacity of 1.1 to 1.6 cubic feet may be more practical.
Design: Microwave ovens also come in various designs that can complement or contrast with your kitchen decor. Some designs include classic white, sleek black, or stainless steel finishes. Some also have different door styles such as pull-down or side-swing doors. Consider the overall look and feel of your kitchen, and pick a microwave oven that matches your style.
To help you get a better idea of the different sizes and designs of microwave ovens under $150, here is a comparison table:
|Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven||0.9 cubic feet||Stainless Steel|
|AmazonBasics Microwave, Small, 0.7 Cu. Ft, 700W||0.7 cubic feet||Black|
|BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven||0.7 cubic feet||Stainless Steel|
|COMFEE’ EM720CPL-PM Countertop Microwave Oven||0.7 cubic feet||White|
|Danby DMW07A4WDB 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven||0.7 cubic feet||White|
As you can see, the sizes and designs of the microwave ovens vary across the different models. When deciding which one to buy, make sure to take into account the size of your kitchen and the look you want to achieve. With the right size and design, you can have a microwave oven that not only cooks efficiently but also enhances the overall appeal of your kitchen.
3. Pick the Right Power Wattage
One important factor to consider when choosing a microwave oven is its power wattage. The wattage determines how quickly and evenly your food will cook. Here are some points to keep in mind when picking the right power wattage for your needs:
- Low wattage (less than 700W): These models are suitable for basic tasks such as warming up food and beverages, and simple cooking tasks like reheating leftovers. They are also more affordable and take up less space than higher wattage models. However, they may take longer to cook or defrost food.
- Medium wattage (between 700W and 900W): These models are suitable for most households, as they offer a balance of speed and versatility. They can handle simple cooking tasks as well as more complex dishes, and are often more energy efficient than high wattage models.
- High wattage (above 900W): These models are ideal for large families or for those who need to cook or defrost food quickly. They are also better at evenly cooking thicker or denser foods such as frozen meat, casseroles, or baked goods. However, they may be more expensive and consume more power than lower wattage models.
It’s important to choose a wattage that suits your needs, budget, and available space. To determine the right wattage, consider the types of food you most frequently cook, and the frequency and quantity of your cooking. Keep in mind that higher wattage models may also require additional ventilation or other safety measures. By choosing the right wattage, you can ensure that your microwave oven meets your cooking needs effectively and efficiently.
4. Look for Advanced Features
When choosing a microwave oven under $150, it’s important to consider its advanced features. These features can enhance your cooking experience and make it more convenient and efficient. Here are some advanced features to look for:
|Multi-stage Cooking||This feature allows you to program multiple cooking stages in one go, without needing to stop and start the microwave manually.|
|Convection Cooking||A convection microwave oven has a built-in fan that circulates hot air, resulting in faster and more even cooking throughout the oven. This is ideal for cooking dishes that require a crispy finish or for baking.|
|Grill Function||This feature allows you to grill food inside the microwave oven, providing a crispy golden finish to your dishes.|
|Defrosting Options||Several microwave ovens come with defrost settings, allowing you to thaw frozen food quickly by weight or time. There are also specialized defrost settings for specific food like meat and veggies!|
|Smart and Pre-programmed Settings||Some microwave ovens have pre-programmed settings and sensor technology that optimize cooking time and power based on the type of food being cooked.|
|Child Safety Lock||If you have children at home, look for microwave ovens with a child safety lock function that prevents accidental opening of the microwave.|
Of course, not all advanced features will be necessary for everyone, so consider which features are most important to you. For instance, if you love baking, convection cooking might be a must-have feature. On the other hand, if you only use your microwave for heating leftovers, multi-stage cooking might not be as useful. It’s essential to define your needs and budget beforehand so that you invest in a microwave oven that meets your requirements.
5. Read Reviews and Ratings
One of the most important steps in buying a microwave oven under $150 is to read reviews and ratings of the products you are considering. Here are some tips for how to do this effectively:
- Look for reviews on multiple websites. Don’t just rely on the reviews posted on the product page or on a single website. Check several websites, such as Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart, to get a broad range of opinions.
- Pay attention to the overall rating. Focus on products that have an average rating of at least 4 out of 5 stars. This indicates that the product has generally positive reviews from customers.
- Read both positive and negative reviews. While positive reviews can be helpful in understanding what customers like about a product, negative reviews can give you important information about potential drawbacks or issues to watch out for.
- Look for reviews from customers who have similar needs to your own. For example, if you are looking for a microwave oven with advanced cooking features, look for reviews from customers who have used those features rather than just basic heating and defrosting functions.
- Check for common complaints or concerns. If multiple customers mention the same issue, such as difficulty using a certain function or concerns about the durability of the product, take note of this and consider whether it is a dealbreaker for you.
By taking the time to read reviews and ratings from a variety of sources and perspectives, you can make a more informed decision about which microwave oven to buy. Don’t be swayed by just one or two glowing reviews or overly negative comments. Look for a consensus among multiple customers to get a more accurate sense of the pros and cons of each product.
Frequently Asked Questions
With so many options to choose from when it comes to purchasing a microwave oven under $150, it’s natural to have questions. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compiled some of the most frequently asked questions about these budget-friendly appliances. Read on to learn more about power wattage, cooking capabilities, durability and safety concerns, and more. Our goal is to provide you with the information you need to choose the best microwave oven under $150 for your needs and budget.
1. What is the best wattage for a microwave oven under $150?
When it comes to choosing a microwave oven under $150, one of the most important factors to consider is the wattage. But what is the best wattage for a microwave oven under $150 that will give you the best performance and value for your money?
Here are some things to consider:
- The higher the wattage, the faster the cooking time: Microwave ovens under $150 typically range from 600 to 1000 watts. While a higher wattage may seem like the obvious choice for faster cooking, it can also mean a higher price tag. So, if you’re looking for a balance between speed and affordability, a microwave oven with 700-800 watts should suffice.
- Cooking needs: Your cooking needs should also play a role in determining the wattage of the microwave oven you choose. For example, if you just need a microwave oven to reheat food or cook light meals, a lower wattage will suffice. However, if you want to cook food items like meat or frozen meals, a higher wattage is recommended for faster and even cooking.
- Size and capacity: The size and capacity of the microwave oven under $150 are also factors to consider when it comes to wattage. The larger the size and capacity, the more wattage is needed to effectively cook or reheat your food.
- Budget: Your budget also plays a significant role in determining the wattage of the microwave oven you choose. If you’re on a tight budget, a lower wattage microwave oven may be the best option, as they tend to be less expensive. However, if you can afford to spend a little more, a higher wattage microwave oven will likely give you better performance and faster cooking times.
The best wattage for a microwave oven under $150 depends on your specific needs and budget. However, a microwave oven with 700-800 watts will provide a good balance between speed, performance, and affordability.
2. Can I cook a full meal in a microwave oven under $150?
Many people believe that microwave ovens are limited to heating up leftovers or ready-to-eat meals, but that is not the case. You can indeed cook a full meal in a microwave oven under $150. However, it’s essential to choose a microwave oven with the right features and specifications.
Below is a table that shows the types of food you can cook in a microwave oven under $150:
|Type of Food||Examples|
|Vegetables||Green beans, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, etc.|
|Meat and Poultry||Chicken breasts, pork chops, fish fillets, ground beef, etc.|
|Casseroles and Pasta Dishes||Lasagna, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, etc.|
|Rice and Grains||White rice, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, etc.|
|Desserts||Mug cakes, apple crisp, bread pudding, etc.|
However, it’s important to note that cooking a full meal in a microwave oven requires some planning and adjustments. Here are a few tips to ensure that your food comes out well:
- Choose the right cookware: Use microwave-safe dishes and cookware. Avoid metal containers and dishes with gold or silver rims.
- Cut food into small pieces: This allows the food to cook evenly and thoroughly.
- Stir and rotate: Stop the microwave and stir the food every few minutes to ensure even cooking. Also, rotate the dish if your microwave doesn’t have a turntable.
- Use appropriate power levels: Most microwave meals require a high power setting, but it’s important to adjust the power level for different dishes. For example, cooking vegetables on a high power level may cause them to become overcooked.
- Allow for resting time: After cooking, allow the food to sit for a few minutes as it continues to cook and absorb flavors.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to cook a delicious and healthy meal in your microwave oven under $150. Just be sure to choose a microwave oven with the appropriate features, such as a turntable, multiple power levels, and preset cooking functions. The Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven and BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven are two excellent options for cooking full meals within a budget of $150.
3. How long should a microwave oven last?
How Long Should a Microwave Oven Last?
Microwave ovens have become an essential appliance in most households, with many people relying on them for quick and easy meal preparation. However, like any other appliance, a microwave oven has a limited lifespan and will eventually need to be replaced. In this section, we will discuss the average lifespan of a microwave oven and some factors that can affect its longevity.
The lifespan of a microwave oven can vary depending on a number of factors, including usage, maintenance, and quality. According to experts, a microwave oven can last anywhere between 5 and 10 years with proper care and maintenance. However, some models may have a shorter or longer lifespan, depending on their quality and usage.
|Factors Affecting Microwave Oven Lifespan||Effect on Lifespan|
|Usage||High usage can lead to more wear and tear on the oven and shortens its lifespan.|
|Maintenance||Proper maintenance, such as keeping it clean and free from food debris, can help extend the lifespan of the oven.|
|Quality||Higher quality ovens may last longer than cheaper, lower quality models due to better manufacturing and components.|
It is important to note that using a microwave oven beyond its lifespan can be a safety hazard. Over time, the oven’s components may become worn or damaged, which can increase the risk of fire or electrical shock. It is recommended to replace the microwave oven after its average lifespan period to ensure safety and optimal performance.
The lifespan of a microwave oven can vary based on factors such as usage, maintenance, and quality. While the average lifespan of a microwave oven is between 5 and 10 years, it is important to keep an eye on the oven’s performance and replace it if it shows signs of wear or damage. By properly maintaining the microwave oven and following safety guidelines, you can ensure it lasts for as long as possible and serves you well.
4. Are there any safety concerns with microwave ovens?
Microwave ovens are generally considered safe to use, but there are some potential safety concerns that users should be aware of. Here are some of the safety concerns with using microwave ovens:
|1. Electrical hazards:||Like any other electrical appliance, microwave ovens can also pose electrical hazards if not handled properly. Always plug your microwave oven into a grounded outlet and avoid using extension cords.|
|2. Fire hazards:||Microwaves can heat up very quickly and any flammable materials left inside the oven can potentially start a fire. Make sure to remove any metal objects, aluminum foil, or containers with non-microwave safe symbols before using your microwave.|
|3. Microwaves leakage:||Leakage of microwaves outside the oven is a rare phenomenon, as modern microwave ovens are designed to prevent such occurrences. However, it is still important to check your oven’s door seals and hinges regularly, and avoid operating the oven if there are visible cracks or signs of damage.|
|4. Burns:||Microwave ovens can heat food and liquids unevenly, sometimes causing hot spots. Always use oven mitts when removing food or liquids from a microwave oven and allow them to cool down before touching them. Also, be careful when removing coverings from food containers as steam can cause burns.|
By following the safety guidelines and procedures, using a microwave oven can be a convenient and safe method of cooking. However, if you ever have any doubts or concerns about the safety of your microwave oven, it is always a good idea to seek professional help.
After carefully researching and analyzing the features and specifications of various microwave ovens under $150, we can confidently say that the Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven stands out as the clear winner. Its compact design, generous 0.9 cubic foot capacity, and 900 watts of power make it the perfect addition to any kitchen.
However, we understand that each individual has their own unique needs and preferences, and that is why we have provided a comprehensive list of the top 5 microwave ovens under $150 with the best features. From the AmazonBasics Microwave with its voice-activated technology to the BLACK+DECKER EM720CB7 Digital Microwave Oven with its impressive cooking performance, there is something for everyone on this list.
When making a purchasing decision, it is important to remember to define your needs and budget, consider the size and design of the microwave oven, pick the right power wattage, look for advanced features that suit your specific preferences, and read reviews and ratings from others who have used the product.
At the end of the day, we hope that this article has provided you with the necessary information and insights to make an informed decision in selecting the best microwave oven under $150 for your kitchen. Remember to always prioritize safety and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully in order to ensure the longevity and efficiency of your appliance. Happy cooking!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use metal utensils in a microwave oven under $150?
No, metal utensils should not be used in a microwave oven as they can cause a fire. Instead, use microwave-safe glass or plastic containers.
2. How do I clean my microwave oven under $150?
You can clean your microwave oven with a mixture of water and vinegar or with a commercial microwave cleaning product. It’s important to wipe down the inside of the oven regularly to prevent buildup of food and grease.
3. What is the difference between a microwave oven and a convection oven?
A microwave oven uses electromagnetic waves to cook food quickly, while a convection oven uses heated air to cook food more evenly. Convection ovens are typically more expensive than microwave ovens.
4. Can I use my microwave oven to defrost meat?
Yes, many microwave ovens have a defrost function which can be used to defrost meat quickly and safely.
5. How can I tell if my microwave oven is losing power?
If your food takes longer to cook than the recommended time, or the oven doesn’t heat up as quickly as it used to, these may be signs that your microwave oven is losing power.
6. What is the difference between a solo microwave and a grill microwave?
A solo microwave is a basic microwave oven that can be used for simple tasks such as reheating food, while a grill microwave has an additional heating element that can be used to brown food and give it a crispy texture.
7. Can I use my microwave oven to cook popcorn?
Yes, many microwave ovens have a popcorn function that can be used to cook popcorn quickly and easily. However, it’s important to use microwave-safe popcorn bags to prevent a fire.
8. How can I prevent my microwave oven from overheating?
Make sure that your microwave oven has enough ventilation and that the ventilation area is not blocked. Do not run the oven empty, as this can cause it to overheat.
9. Can I use my microwave oven to cook vegetables?
Yes, many microwave ovens have a vegetable function that can be used to cook vegetables quickly and easily. However, it’s important to use microwave-safe containers and to add a small amount of water to prevent the vegetables from drying out.
10. Can I use my microwave oven to cook meat?
Yes, many microwave ovens have a meat function that can be used to cook meat quickly and evenly. However, it’s important to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the meat has reached the appropriate temperature and is safe to eat.